Good Start Granola
A recipe for delicious and nutritious breakfast granola!
A friend of ours runs a fabulous bakery in Old Montreal, and she shared this recipe with me more than a decade ago. Over the years I’ve altered it slightly, but the result is always the same — a delicious and nutritious way to get any day off to a good start!
8 – 10 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking and preferably organic)
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1 1/2 cups unsweetened, desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups flax seeds
1 cup whole raw almonds
1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds (shelled, not salted or roasted)
1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds (shelled, not salted or roasted)
1 cup honey
1 cup maple syrup
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp vanilla
1 cup currants (or any other dried fruit)
1 banana (sliced)
1. Preheat the oven to 275˚F. Mix the oats, slivered almonds, coconut, flax seeds, whole almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds together in a big mixing bowl.
2. Pour the honey and maple syrup into a measuring cup. Add the salt, then pour in the vanilla (it liquefies the honey and makes it easy to stir in with the dry ingredients).
3. Drizzle the wet mixture over the dry ingredients (you may find it easier to split this into two mixing bowls, which I often do). Stir to coat the dry ingredients.
4. Once the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated, pour them out onto two large rimmed baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully stir to ensure the mixture on the bottom doesn’t burn, and bake for another 30 minutes or until it’s browned. Don’t overbake, and don’t try to cook at a higher temperature or it may burn.
5. Once cooled, stir in the currants and store in an airtight container.
6. Serve with plain organic yogurt, sliced banana, or fresh fruit, and drizzle with honey.
MAKES 12 CUPS